Good morning. Welcome to April 7 and the fantastic letter F. Today, my guest is the talented Elizabeth Meyette. who’s here to share Five Fabulous Facts About Self-Publishing an Audiobook. As well, she has an opportunity for you to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card. So read to the end of the post for that great prize as well as the link to the other A to Z bloggers.
Take it away, Elizabeth.
When I decided to self-publish the audiobook version of The Cavanaugh House, I knew I would have a steep learning curve. But since I had already self-published both the print and ebook versions, the audiobook was not so challenging. Here are Five Facts I discovered about self-publishing an audiobook:
- com, an Amazon platform for self-publishing an audiobook, is very user friendly. This was my first choice for a site because I had found CreateSpace, also an Amazon platform, so easy to use for the print version of The Cavanaugh House.
- You upload a 1–2 page scene to use as an audition script. ACX sends it out to narrators based on the parameters you set (gender, age, regional accent, etc.).
- Once you select a narrator, you both complete the relevant section of the contract on the ACX site. This outlines payment type, due dates and each party’s responsibilities.
- There are two methods of payment for your narrator: Royalty Share or Up Front. Some authors want an upfront payment because they have to hire the editor and proofer plus pay for studio time. Up Front means you pay the narrator when you have given the final approval for your book. Payment is base on number of finished hours of the book (listening time).
- You will first hear a First Fifteen Minutes recording of your book for approval. Then you will hear the full reading which you must approve. You are allowed two revision sessions before your final approval.
I think I might have snuck in more than five facts here, but who’s counting? One last fact: you must own the audio rights to your book in order to self-publish an audiobook. If you are an Indie author, no problem. If you are traditionally published, check your contract and/or ask your publisher.
I loved the process, and I loved working with my narrator, Amy McFadden. I look forward to creating another audiobook in the future.
Thanks for inviting me today, Susanne. It was Fun, Festive and Fulfilling.
Thank you. I learned a few facts I didn’t know!
The Cavanaugh House excerpt:
This house held secrets. Secrets that wafted through rotting window sashes on the winter wind. Secrets that spiders wove into webs anchored between the ceiling and walls. Secrets that scuttled on the feet of cockroaches across stained kitchen linoleum and scurried into its cracks. Secrets that peered from holes in the baseboard from glinting mouse eyes. This house held the secrets close to its bosom where they had slept for decades. No one had disturbed these secrets in all the years the house sat decaying from neglect. There was no reason to, and there was no desire.
The Cavanaugh House blurb:
When Jesse Graham unlocks the door to the deserted house she inherited from her Aunt Helen, she doesn’t realize she’s unlocking secrets that had lain dormant for years. Reeling from a broken engagement to acclaimed musician Robert Cronmiller, Jesse wants to leave the city where her name is linked to his in all the society pages. Her best friend Maggie, aka Sister Angelina, convinces her to take a job at a private girls’ school in the pastoral Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. Anticipating a quiet, revitalizing life in her aunt’s deserted house, Jesse is instead thrown into a maze of danger. Questions about her aunt’s death lead Jesse to investigate events surrounding it and the people involved, but she uncovers a web of deceit that reaches far beyond the occurrences of over two decades earlier. Still dejected from her broken engagement, Jesse finds it difficult to trust anyone, even her self-absorbed mother. Joe Riley is irresistible, but secrets obstruct involvement with him until Jesse can solve the secrets of the Cavanaugh House. Someone doesn’t want those secrets unearthed and will stop at nothing, even murder, to keep them hidden.
Now my audiobook is available and I am celebrating with a giveaway on my website. You can enter it below!
Elizabeth’s books are available on:
Visit Elizabeth at:
Enter the Giveaway for a $25 Amazon Gift Card! Click here: GIVEAWAY
Take a minute now, to go and find other great bog posts on the A to Z Challenge List